Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, June 12, 2006

    Q & A: Myron Rolle

    Q: What have you been up to since spring practices concluded?

    A: “I’ve been taking two classes and lifting at eight o’clock four days a week. And now we’re just starting some workouts and (I’m) trying to prepare myself for the season.”

    Q: Who coordinates the dills that the defensive backs do after workouts?

    A “We just do it ourselves. I know that Coach (Mickey) Andrews likes for us to get that extra work in after practice. Some of the older guys … Roger (Williams) and Tony (Carter) got us together and said, ‘We should get some extra work in and just improve ourselves with nobody out here watching.’ It’s a good thing to do and I think that I got better today.”

    Q: Can you get more out of that than doing one-on-ones with wide receivers?

    A “I think so because it’s all about technique. You can apply what you learned in those drills when you start the one-on-ones but right now we want to get out foundation a little better. Then we will go out there and try those guys a little later.”

    Q: Who has stood out to you so far in the two days of workouts?

    A: “Roger Williams is a great leader. I think that he’s a guy I look up to at safety. He’s a guy that takes command and is very athletic. Most of the spring he was hurt so you didn’t really get to see too much but right now you can see his great foot speed and his break on the ball and his athleticism. I think he’s impressed me and really stood out.”

    Q: Have you continued to study film even though there hasn’t been regular practice with your coaches?

    A: “(I’m) definitely studying film. I’m still trying to pick up some stuff because we didn’t put everything in yet (in spring) so there’s still some things I need to learn. Coach Andrews wanted me to sit down and watch some film and go over some of the packages to get ready for two-a-days. That’s what I am doing and it’s benefiting me.”

    Q: Do you study just packages or your stuff from the spring?

    A: “Just packages. I looked at the spring game a little bit. I definitely wanted to see the interception. I didn’t see it on TV so I wanted to check that out. You definitely want to know what you are doing and watch some of the clips from last year. I am watching Kyler Hall and seeing how he played the position and how he played some of the defenses. If I can learn from that and I am even watching some of Jerome Carter’s film from a couple of years ago. That can help me a lot and get me ready.”

    Q: What did you think of seeing your interception return from the spring game?

    A: “I thought it was pretty good. I was pretty close to going out of bounds but I was happy that I didn’t. But it was a good play and I just liked the emotion that everybody had once I scored.”

    Q: What are your personal goals for the summer workouts?

    A: “I just want to stay fit and under 220 (pounds). I have never had a problem losing weight … I’m a guy that sweats a lot so that won’t be a problem. I am about 217 right now. I want to get faster and just get myself ready. When Coach Andrews sees me in two-a-days he will see the progress I have made from spring to August.”

    Q: It’s now been six months since you enrolled at FSU. Are you still happy with the decision?

    A: “Absolutely, absolutely. I have been talking to a couple of recruits. Dionte Allen from Michigan, I know he was thinking about coming in early. And some other guys. I’ve just been telling them this is probably one of the best decisions I have made recently. It’s been such a positive for me. I have been able to get ahead in class and get a jumpstart on the season.”

    Q: After your strong spring you have been put on a lot of lists as a young guy to watBch. Do you follow that stuff?

    A “Yeah, I saw that a couple of magazines had me as top ACC newcomer and Sports Illustrated had me as an All-American as a freshman. I don’t think that’s a negative thing. I take it as a plus. I take it as people recognizing my abilities and just seeing the type of things that I can do on the field. That’s something that I want to use motivation to keep trying to be the best possible player that I can be on the field.”

    Q: How often do you get to talk to Coach Andrews and Coach (James) Colzie?

    A: “Pretty much everyday. I know that it is recruiting season and they are on the road a lot but they call me a lot to check in with me and see how I am doing. I go up to their office just to talk to them a little bit. Coach Andrews got inducted into the hall of fame and I talked to him about that. The other day we talked about who Earl Campbell was. I didn’t know who he was and Coach Andrews said he was one of the best running backs.”

    Q: Your brother is down here with you now, how is it having him here?

    A: “It’s great. My brother is like my right-hand man. This will be the first time that we are actually going to school together. It’s nice to have him here. He’s a person that is honest with me. You ask about getting hype and all the pressure, he’s the one that tells me straight up if I am not doing something right or if I need to work on something. It’s good to have him here as an ego

    No comments: