Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, August 16, 2006

    FSU First Full Scrimmage

    • FSU held a kicking scrimmage in the morning and then a full scrimmage in the evening - both on Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium

    • The field goal kickers were a perfect on nine attempts in the morning from distances of 32, 37 and 42 yards

    • Gary Cismesia led the way, going 6-for-6 with two field goals from each distance

    • The No. 1 offense had three scores in the full scrimmage while the No. 1 defense did not allow a touchdown

    • Drew Weatherford was 11-of-13 for 127 yards with touchdowns to Chris Davis (5 yards) and Greg Carr (40 yards)

    • Carr led all receivers with three catches for 54 yards with Davis second (4-35)

    • The other TD came on a one-yard rush by Joe Surratt

    • Xavier Lee completed 7-of-16 passes for 57 yards

    • Lorenzo Booker led all rushers with 39 yards on six carries with Antone Smith rushing four times for 35 yards

    • Everette Brown recorded a team-best five sacks

    • Derek Nicholson led all tackles with eight stops, including two for loss

    • Buster Davis and Paul Griffin each had five tackles and two tackles for loss

    • In goalline, the No. 1 offense scored on three of four tries against the No. 2 defense with TD's coming from Surratt (1 yard), Booker (3) and Matt Dunham (1)

    • The No. 1 defense allowed just one score on four attempts vs. the No. 2 offense with the lone TD coming from Dunham from one yard out

    • The team will practice once on Thursday with the start scheduled for 9:45 a.m.


    QUOTES

    Head Coach Bobby Bowden

    (On the full scrimmage)

    "I saw some good things then I saw some ragged things. Good then ragged, good, then ragged. The key is to be able to go out there and find out what you did wrong and get it corrected. That is the only way to get better. I think Everette (Brown) was pretty doggone good. There were a lot of mistakes so we have to get those things figured out. It's a good thing when you have a scrimmage like this because it shows you how much more you have to do."

    (On the running backs)

    "I thought (Lorenzo) Booker ran well. I thought Antone ran well. The guy that I really saw what I wanted to see from was Matt Dunham running the football. He scored every time on the goalline."

    (On the quarterbacks)

    "If you take Drew's game, he went good, ragged then good, instead of going all the way through with it. Xavier (Lee) got a lot of work. He has improved. You can really see the improvement from a year ago but he still has a lot to learn."

    (On injuries to defensive tackles)

    "It would be nice to have them in there. You are taking (Letroy) Guion and (Emmanuel) Dunbar out and they aren't getting any work. I'll be glad when we get them back. We can't beat Miami with those guys sitting over there on the bench so we need those guys to start practicing."

    Defensive end Everette Brown

    (On the scrimmage)

    "Today we wanted to come out and get a good look at everybody. I mainly wanted to focus on my pass rushing today. I haven't been getting a good pass rush since two-a-days started, I haven't been as dominant. Tonight I wanted to come out and stick to the basics and fundamentals and just get to the passers."

    (On his play tonight)

    "I have to get better. I had some good take-offs but I need to keep my pads down and play better with my hands to beat my opponent quicker. For the most part it was a pretty good day."

    Quarterback Drew Weatherford

    (On the scrimmage)

    "I just felt comfortable today. The offensive line did a great job of blocking. The running backs were making plays and we were able to run the ball which is really helping us out in the passing game. I'm really proud of everybody, for being our first scrimmage we have a lot of things to work out but we will get that fixed."

    (On touchdown to Greg Carr)

    "It was phenomenal. That wasn't me at all. He made the play and he makes me look good a lot. I am really excited about being able to throw to him again."

    No comments: