Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, August 19, 2006

    Saturday Practice Report

    • FSU spent 25 minutes on special teams and then worked for six periods on the practice fields before moving over to the stadium for a one-hour situation scrimmage

    • Senior linebacker Buster Davis and senior tailback Lorenzo Booker will participate in a live chat on ESPN.com Monday. The chat will begin with Davis at 1:00 p.m. with Booker scheduled to follow at 1:30 p.m. Fans can send their questions in through ESPN.com or Seminoles.com.

    • Highlights for the offense during the scrimmage:

    o 37 yard TD pass from Xavier Lee to Damon McDaniel

    o 3 yard TD pass from Lee to Joe Surratt

    o Two 1 yard TD runs by Matt Dunham

    o 32 yard run by Antone Smith

    o 21 yard run by Lee

    o 19 yard completion from Lee to De'Cody Fagg

    o 12 yard completion from Lee to Greg Carr

    o Gary Cismesia was 2-of-4 on field goals from 44 yards

    • Highlights for the defense during the scrimmage:

    o Rumble recovery by Derek Nicholson

    o Tackles for loss by Derek Nicholson, Paul Grffin, Geno Hayes, Buster Davis, Dekoda Watson, Roosevelt Lawson and Lawerance Timmons

    o Pass breaks ups by Korey Mangum, Toddrick Verdel and Patrick Robinson

    • The Seminoles will not practice Sunday but will attend Bethel AME church in the morning and then hold meetings in the afternoon

    • FSU will practice twice on Monday (8:30 a.m. for 24 periods and 6:15 p.m. for 18 periods)

    QUOTES

    Head Coach Bobby Bowden

    (On practice)

    "We worked on third and short, goal line, red zone and coming off the three yard line and things like that. The coaches got a good look at some of the stuff that they wanted to see. It was a pretty good practice and we are getting a little bit better."

    (How pleased were you with Xavier Lee's performance today?)

    "That is exactly what we were hoping. That he can pick it up where he left off and show improvement. Each scrimmage he has shown improvement. He needs all the scrimmaging he can get. We can't afford to do too much because of injury but I think each scrimmage he has gotten a little more comfortable with what he is doing. He made some nice throws out there today."

    (On freshman wide receivers Damon McDaniel and Preston Parker)

    "Those kids are making some progress. I like those two freshmen we got in here. Preston is a little more explosive, a guy that can break tackles but Damon is very consistent and runs good patterns and catches the ball good."

    (What does the offense have to work on?)

    "Execution, execution, execution, doing it and doing it perfect. They are a little bit more versatile than they were a year ago. But a lot of that goes right back to the quarterback. You can't go any further than the quarterback will take you."

    QB Xavier Lee

    (On practice)

    "I practiced pretty well. My offensive line blocked well and the running backs ran the ball well. I just called the play and they ran it. The receivers caught the ball and that is all I can do. "

    (On passing accuracy)

    "My arm is much better. I have been working hard over the whole summer to get my accuracy back and my strength back. It is coming along good and it showed today."

    (What does a good day like today do for you?)

    "It gives me a lot of confidence but it is hard to have confidence when you aren't really getting the reps or playing time. Being out there and making plays and the offense is blocking for me and everything else just feels good. It gives me confidence."

    (Are you back all the way physically?)

    "There is always room for improvement but where I'm at right now I'm comfortable but I always want to get better."

    (On his progress)

    "Mentally I can always get better as well. Mentally where I am right now is good because I make the plays and I understand the game. Reads are a lot clearer for me now."

    WR Damon McDaniel

    (On his 37 yard touchdown reception from Lee)

    "It was a real confidence boost. We work hard, run our routes and read. It is a lot of thinking to do. Most of the time when you try and run your route you have to think too much but you just want to come out and compete."

    No comments: