For the fourth time in the last six days the Florida State football team put on full pads and scrimmaged in Doak Campbell Stadium. The last nine periods of the 28 period practice were spent in a full scrimmage. Both Marcus Sims and Alex Boston had big days for their respective units.
HIGHLIGHTS & NOTES:
• The team began the practice working on special teams, specifically on field goals. Gary Cismesia was 3-for-3 during the special teams practice.
• In run drills Dakoda Watson recorded a tackle for loss, Jamaal Edwards had two nice runs and Joe Surratt had a very impressive run up the middle.
• One of the highlights of 1-on-1 was baseball star D'Vontrey Richardson connecting deep to Damon McDaniel.
• In pass skel Darius McClure and Jamie Robinson broke up passes for the defense. Dakoda Watson broke up a pass as well but the tip was hauled in for a TD by Preston Parker. Drew Wetaherford connected on touchdown passes to Joslin Shaw and De'Cody Fagg. Xavier Lee hit Greg Carr in the endzone on a ball Carr skied to pull in. Christian Ponder also had a TD as he hooked up with Preston Parker.
• In 11-on-11 Antone Smith ripped off two big runs, Edwards had a nice run shedding tackles and Alex Boston recorded a sack and forced a fumble on the same play. The only TD passes came from Weatherford who went to Shaw and Lee who connected with Carr. Tony Carter recorded a pass break-up, Budd Thacker had a sack, Dakoda Watson had a near sack and Anthony Kelly forced a quick pass on a QB hurry to avoid a sack.
• The FSU quarterbacks had a tougher day Wednesday than they did Monday. Lee had the only TD pass as he connected with Shaw on a five yard strike. Overall Lee was 6-11 for 55 yards. Weatherford went 5-13 for 67 yards and he was intercepted by Myron Rolle.
• Marcus Sims had the biggest day for the offense. He compiled well over 50 yards including runs of 13 yards, 17 yards and a 15 yard run on 3rd and 10.
• Edwards had a run of over 10 yards as did Smith who took the ball from the 20 down to the five yard line.
• In the passing game Shaw had a nice 13 yard run after a short catch as did Parker who went for 20 yards, most of which came after the reception.
• Defensively it was the Alex Boston show. The soon to be senior registered two tackles for loss and had another sack.
• Michael Ray Garvin, Jamie Robinson and Darius McClure all broke up passes. McClure's came in the endzone.
• The biggest hit of the day was turned in by Justin Mincey who had a crushing hit in the backfield.
• Cismesia remained perfect on the day as he hit field goals of 40 and 31 yards in the scrimmage. It was the first time FSU kicked field goals during a scrimmage this spring.
• Highlights from goal line included a four-yard run and a three-yard run from the five for Sims plus a TD plunge and a one yard TD by Surratt.
• Defensively, the defense recovered a fumble inside the three and held Smith to no gain on a goal line carry.
Head Coach Bobby Bowden
"The defense really got the best of it. The quarterbacks were not sharp. They had people open at times and really missed them. It was really one of those days we were not sharp. Then they'd make a good play and get a penalty. It was one of those days. On the goal line, we must have had three or four fumbles between the center and the quarterback. We are working new people in there and you will get some of that. The offense was not sharp - but the defensive secondary played much better. If they could catch the ball - if our defensive secondary could catch the ball - they would have had five interceptions. They won't catch it, though.
(on John Frady)
"Frady was out there and they had to take him in. I don't know if the heat got to him or what. After about 10 periods he had to go in. (Ryan) McMahon was ... one of reasons the snaps are inconsistent. We are working the freshmen a lot in there."
(on Marcus Sims)
"Marcus - from the first scrimmage we had till today - he has improved in each one. I think he is making improvement. He is learning how to run the football the way we want it run. He has made improvement in that regard; he might have been our leading ground gainer today."
(on picking up the new terminology)
"They are getting better. They should get better every day they walk out here. They should get better with that. (It's about what I expect) under the circumstances."
Running Back Marcus Sims
"I just came out here and worked hard. I felt like I had a good day today and I felt like I was playing pretty good. I've got to work on my blocking a little bit but other than tat I felt like I had a good day. I am always motivating myself; trying to get better. Hopefully, I can get back to that second spot."
Rover Myron Rolle
"I think we did pretty well. I think the first team allowed one touchdown on the field and one touchdown on goal line. We had two turnovers in total today. But I think we played pretty well. We executed. Guys made tackles and guys made big plays and that's what you need out of the defense."
(on his interception)
"That was very good. It was good to finally get my hands on one (an interception) and bring it in. (One of the receivers) was running s streak down the field, the ball was a little up and Drew (Weatherford) let me or him make a play on it. I was fortunate, we got the turnover and we got the ball back. That's what we are looking for. That's what I am trying to emphasize this spring. I think last year I was groomed to play a lot of run support. This year I feel we are calling a lot more coverages where I am a lot deeper and playing the pass a little more. I think it's great to work against these receivers and work on your pass coverage myself and Roger (Williams) included and the other safeties, as well. It's a good thing to come out here and have to battle in the passing game because that's what we're going to have to do when the games come along."
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Posted by tallynolefan at 7:28 PM