Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, September 25, 2006

    Q & A: Drew Weatherford

    You were pretty critical of yourself through the first three games. How did you think you played Saturday?

    WEATHERFORD: I thought I played well. There's always plays I wish I would have made. For example, when I threw the ball to Greg Carr in the end zone, I left it a little too far inside and the DB made the play. If I had thrown it two feet outside, he probably would have scored there. Lorenzo Booker on the wheel route, I went back and I ended up having more room in the back of the end zone to throw it than I actually realized. We ended up getting pass interference because the guy was face-guarding and I just threw it at his back. There are always things that you can go back and look at to improve, but all and all I thought I played pretty solid but not spectacular and just did what I was supposed to do.

    The coaches have said that the plan all along was to bring Xavier Lee in on the third series. Were you aware of that?

    WEATHERFORD: Yeah, we talked about it the day before the game just to let me know what the situation was going to be and so I wouldn't be surprised by it. I was fine with it because he needs to get reps when the game's on the line and not necessarily when the game is out of hand. It seems like he's always been put in really bad situations whether we're down or we're up by a lot. Neither one of those gives the coaches a real good evaluation. They want to see him when the game is still in hand one way or the other and see how he plays and reacts, and how the team does, how they execute with him in.

    You've mentioned communication problems on offense this season. Can you explain them?

    WEATHERFORD: We have certain plays where it can be run or pass. Sometimes I'll check and half the line of scrimmage will be run-blocking and have of them will be pass-blocking. That's happened once this year. It's kind of weird. It never happens in practice. There have been times when I've gotten the wrong signal from the sideline - not that the signal was wrong, but I got it wrong.

    Did we see a more determined Greg Carr out there?

    WEATHERFORD: I don't think there's any doubt about it. He was much more intense. Every play, he played hard. Whether he was catching the ball or blocking, it seemed like he was really focused and determined to - not to prove the coaches wrong but to make a statement and show that he's a good player and he's not going to be a guy that just catches the deep ball. But he's going to be in every facet of the game whether it's run-blocking or catching the little slant and making something happen.

    Chris Davis has had some drops and a couple fumbles. When you have a receiver who's struggling compared to expectations, how much do you talk to him?


    WEATHERFORD: It's got to be frustrating for him. He came off the field one time and he was like, 'Gosh, I feel like I have the worst timing. Every time something goes good, I do something bad. Every time I get open, the protection will break down.' Or, he'll get open and I'll miss him. We haven't been able to get on the same page. It's kind of like our offense - there's always something going wrong. That's how I kind of feel for Chris right now. He can't really get in a rhythm and things haven't really gone his way. It's almost a good thing, though. I hope teams forget about him because once they do, it'll get ugly.

    No comments: