Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 19, 2006

    Xavier Lee Unhappy

    Florida State's coaches acknowledged Monday that they're concerned about the way their offense has sputtered during Drew Weatherford's second season as a starter, but they aren't any closer to giving backup Xavier Lee a chance at the top job.

    In the 18th-ranked Seminoles' first two Atlantic Coast Conference games - a 13-10 victory over Miami and a 27-20 loss to Clemson - Weatherford has passed for just 277 total yards. But in separate interviews, coach Bobby Bowden, offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden and quarterbacks coach Daryl Dickey each said they expect the sophomore to rebound.

    In the meantime, much of the focus has shifted to Lee, who obviously was frustrated on the sideline during the second half of Saturday night's loss to Clemson. He sat by himself with a towel over his head for much of the third quarter.

    After first telling reporters Monday night that he didn't want to "say the wrong thing," Lee acknowledged that his frustration stems from being told he would definitely play in each of the past two games. But he didn't hit the field against Troy and then was called upon only to throw a desperation pass as time expired Saturday.

    "There's nothing I can do," Lee said. "I just keep practicing hard and keep being patient, but I don't want to be happy with broken promises.

    "I just want to play when there is still some game going on. It doesn't matter what quarter."

    Lee said several Seminoles have told him they want to see him receive a chance.

    "A lot of players have my back," Lee said. "They want to see me play. That's what I came here to do is play. It kind of [stinks] to have my talent wasted - me or Drew sitting on the bench. [The coaches could] split it or something."

    Dickey said the redshirt sophomore's frustration hasn't affected his performance.

    "I couldn't be more pleased with his preparation and also his patience," Dickey said. "He's ready to play, he wants to play, he's eager to play, he's looking for an opportunity, and so am I. I'm anxious for him to play, and I'm looking for an opportunity for him to play that's going to be the best situation for him and our football team."

    No comments: