Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, November 23, 2007

    Breaking Down Florida's Defensive Line


    Starting with the Vanderbilt game, injuries to defensive tackles Brandon Antwine, Lutrell Alford, Javier Estopinan and Terron Sanders have left UF with a rotation of seven players featuring six freshmen, including five true freshmen. Clint McMillan, the lone senior, was the only player who had started a game heading into the contest. Michael Pouncey moved to the defensive side of the ball the week of the game, and made the first start of his career against the Commodores. The Gators, already playing without defensive tackle Javier Estopinan, also could be without defensive tackle Mike Pouncey (knee) and defensive end Lawrence Marsh (toe).

    Gators defensive lineman Justin Trattou has been one of the unit's key pass rushers. He welcomes trying to get at FSU quarterback Drew Weatherford, who Nole fans know is more of a drop-back passer than a scrambler."For me, I love a team that just five-step drops and things like that," Trattou said. "I'm not the biggest guy, it allows me to use my speed to my advantage. That's something I enjoy playing against, it's a fun game to me." For the season, Trattou has 3 1/2 sacks.

    Florida State has allowed 19 sacks, including 14 on Weatherford. "We think we can get to him," said Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey, who has 6 1/2 of the team's 23 sacks. "We definitely need to." Harvey is ranked #7 in the SEC for sacks. Defensive end Jermaine Cunningham also has 57 tackles and 4 1/2 sacks for the Gators defensive line.

    Key Stat: Florida is #4 in SEC for sacks.

    No comments: