Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, November 02, 2007

    "I've never heard of Florida-caliber speed."


    Senior cornerback Taji Morris has made 26 tackles in eight games this season, while recording one interception and one forced fumble. The Edgewater Park, N.J., native's three tackles-for-loss place him in a tie for sixth on the team in that category. He spoke to the media this week regarding the upcoming game.

    Florida State has a lot of speed and height at the wide receiver position, especially with Greg Carr (6'6) and De'Cody Fagg (6'3). How do you, as a cornerback, plan to cover wide-outs when you have a big height disadvantage?

    I'm one of the shortest players on the team (5'9), so I'm always guarding someone taller than I am. You just have to want the ball more. You have to fight. They're good receivers. We've seen a lot of good receivers this year. It's just a matter of watching them on film, seeing what they do, seeing how aggressive they are and just trying to be more aggressive. They're fast. It's funny because every week we play a new team and people say that their receivers are fast and ask, "How are you going to put up with their speed?" I don't know. We're fast too, I guess. It's just another challenge. We prepare every week for a new challenge and we have to just go out there and play hard. A buddy of mine plays for Florida State. He plays defense. His name is Myron Rolle. I was talking to him yesterday and he was asking me, "How are you going to put up with the Florida-caliber speed?" And I go, "I've never heard of Florida-caliber speed."

    Talk about the cornerback on the other side of the field - DeJuan Tribble. How important is he to the defense?

    If not the best corner in the country, he's one of the best corners in the country. Players like that make everyone around them better. Without a doubt, he just makes the defense better. DeJuan and I are really good friends and we're always talking about the game, talking about what I can do better, what he sees out there. I try to watch him because I know he's one of the best players. DeJuan's a good player, but everybody - Jo-Lonn [Dunbar], Jamie [Silva], we all make each other better.

    Coach Jagodzinski has spoken a lot about his philosophy of breaking the season up into four quarters. What is your anticipation for the upcoming fourth quarter and where is there room for improvement?

    We can always improve. Every day, every practice, I try to go out and improve something with my game and hopefully within the defense. I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't a game more important than the ACC Championship. But you have to get there first. We're trying to go out and win every game so we have a shot of playing in the ACC Championship. The goal is for us to have a chance at winning the championship, and for us to have a chance, we have to keep winning games.

    No comments: