The Florida State football team began its preparations for its annual showdown against Florida with a 10-period practice session Monday night on the FSU Practice Fields. The practice session saw the Seminoles practice in the coldest weather of the season with temperatures dipping into the low 40's as a cold front dipped down into the northern part of the state of Florida. The Seminoles play host to the Gators in a renewal of their rivalry which began in 1958 and has run continuously since that first meeting.
* After addressing the team in the Seminole locker room prior to practice, Head Coach Bobby Bowden did not attend practice after he was advised by team doctors to stay out of the cold weather. Bowden has been fighting a head and chest cold for just over a week. He is scheduled to coach at each of the remaining practices this week which are all scheduled to take place during the day time hours;
* Saturday's game will be carried live by ABC Sports and is scheduled to begin at Noon. It is the Seminoles third appearance in ABC television this season;
* Florida State is 7-1-1 at home against Florida since 1986 and the Seminoles have won five of the last eight overall games against the Gators;
* Seminole Head Coach Bobby Bowden is 17-14-1 against Florida. During Bowden's tenure at Florida State, Florida has had seven different head coaches;
* Florida State's game against Florida has been the last regular season game on their schedule ever year since 1977. The only time the game was not played as the final game of the regular season came in 2001 after the Seminoles' game against Georgia Tech was rescheduled because of the Sept. 11 tragedy. Florida State defeated Georgia Tech, 28-17, in Tallahassee that year and finished with an 8-4 record and a victory over Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl.
Quarterback Drew Weatherford
(on sending the seniors out with a win)
"It's very important. They've been here working hard for a long time. We haven't had the greatest success against Florida since I've been here. It's something that they really want, to send them out on a high note to say the least."
(does this game feel like Virginia Tech week last year?)
"It feels a lot like that, to be honest. It's a chance for use to salvage our season. It's going to take a really great effort from us on both sides of the ball."
(on last year's Florida game)
We were so ready to play against the last year emotionally. Football is just funny. The play that really changed the game was the blocked field goal. From then on it just kept rolling in that direction and we could never regain momentum. We are going to have to do our best job trying to protect the football and not give them any big plays."
(how big would win against Florida be?)
"It's going to be a defining moment for our football team. It could be a game that really starts pushing us in the right direction. I've had people come up to me and say `I don't care if you lose every game as long as you guys beat Florida.' That's the attitude around here and I am sure it is the same there. It's going to be important for us to go out and play has hard as we can."
Defensive Lineman Letroy Guion
(on his play this season)
"I wasn't quite ready early in the year. I was trying to step off some injuries and I'm finally getting healthy. I'll get out there and I give it my all.
(on injuries hindering his progression)
"It was a big factor because I couldn't work as hard as everyone else. I had some catching up to do. I finally caught up on my work; studied some film and got ready to play."
(on playing Florida)
"It's a pretty big game. They are a very good team and it will be a tough battle. I'm just trying to get prepared and be ready for that."
Monday, November 20, 2006
Posted by tallynolefan at 9:49 PM