Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, September 03, 2008

    Ponder Dominates Practice Talk


    FSU Sports Information Excerpts:

    The news coming out of Tallahassee on Wednesday all surrounded the quarterback position. Head coach Bobby Bowden announced following practice that redshirt sophomore Christian Ponder would be FSU’s starting quarterback Saturday versus Western Carolina. It will be the first start for Ponder and should up the total of first time starters to 13 for Florida State on Saturday when you include special teams.

    Head coach Bobby Bowden:
    On why Christian Ponder won the starting job:
    "(Christian) Ponder will start the ballgame (against Western Carolina) and we will go from there. His footwork is good and he is throwing good. I think that is a big thing. It is so tight, it's a tough decision. You couldn't imagine how tough it was."

    Offensive Coordinator Jimbo Fisher:
    On how close the decision was
    “I’ve said this before, I like all three quarterbacks. It got down before, the fit of the type of team we have and what we need. I’m not trying to say that [Ponder] won it by default, he played extremely well through the spring and fall. He was very consistent, could run, could throw, did everything right, but I still feel like we have three very good quarterbacks, I really do.”

    On how Ponder won the job
    “Consistency and the ability to make plays with his legs. He was very accurate with his throws, very good decision making process, most consistent and he’s also very athletic. He makes plays with his legs and he makes plays with his arms. I’ve always said I think Christian is a big-time player, I think the others are, but over the long period of time he was the most consistent with the most big plays.”

    No comments: