So now that the regular season is over, how would I rate the head coaches' performances in the Coastal Division for 2008?
1. Paul Johnson- It's not even close. Johnson in his first year came in with the triple option offense and led the Jackets to a 9-3 record including the memorable win over the Noles in Atlanta. Johnson will be a coach to contend with in the Coastal.
2. Frank Beamer- Year in and year out Beamer and his Hokies are the team to beat for the Coastal Division title. He did it again this year as he won the Coastal and the ACC title.
3. Butch Davis- Davis has the Tar Heels headed in the right direction. With his Miami connection, Davis is able to recruit in talent laden Florida. The Heels finished at 8-4 and are headed to the Meineke Car Care Bowl to take on West Virginia.
4.Randy Shannon- Shannon was able to show some progress although he and his Hurricane team was trounced by Tech. He is known as a good recruiter and like the Noles may be a couple of years away from being back.
5. David Cutcliffe- Being the head coach at Duke is to say the least a challenge. Cutcliffe and his Blue Devils were at least competitive as they compiled a 4-8 record. Cutcliffe has a tall hill to climb.
6. Al Groh- The natives are restless and there are plenty of "Fire Al Groh" signs to be seen. Groh must have thought those signs were referring to his son as he fired his son as offensive corrdinator today. Groh seems to be able to survive but you have to wonder if his coaching days at Virginia are numbered.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Posted by tallynolefan at 12:13 AM