Some things I learned this season:
1. Grahan Gano was great and maybe should have been the full time kicker before this season. He was 24 for 26 in 2008 for a 92.3% success rate. I think a Groza is coming his way.
2. Christian Ponder in my opinion was an average quarterback and will get some stiff competition from redshirt freshman E.J. Manuel in 2009. For the regular season, Ponder completed 55.4% of his passes and had 13 interceptions. He ranked #86 out of the top 100 quarterbacks in the nation.
3. The Noles did not realize that a tight end can catch the ball and therefore should have coverage.
4. FSU's secondary is in need of a major overhaul. They ranked near the bottom at #10 in the ACC in interceptions. Blown coverages and missed assignments were commonplace in the secondary. Myron Rolle had 0 interceptions and Tony Carter had only 2 in the regular season.
5. Everette Brown is a great defensive end and is probably headed to the NFL. Brown ranked #2 in the nation in tackles for a loss and #3 in the country in sacks.
6. Michael Ray Garvin is f-a-s-t. He was one of the bright spots on special teams for the Noles. He led the nation in kickoff returns averaging 32.83 yards.
7. Jermaine Thomas promises to be a great back for the Noles. Thomas this season rushed for 478 yards,3 TDs, and averaged 7.2 yards a carry.
8. Junior college transfer Corey Surrency despite having 4 TDs was an underachiever at best. He had too many dropped balls and was at the bottom in average yards per game for the starting receivers.
9. Bert Reed despite his obvious talents was not a team player as he was suspended for three games. He clearly put himself before his team.
10. Bobby Bowden's idea of punishment for player misconduct and my ideas for punishment are far different.
Monday, December 01, 2008
Posted by tallynolefan at 3:19 PM